Thursday, December 16, 2010

Who's dead?

The tension in the hospital waiting room was intoxicating, Anne paced back and forth so fast that it was hurting my eyes, Andre was sitting next to me tapping his feet on the glossy tiled floor repeatedly as I sat next to him silently, feeling guilty about the whole thing. If you weren't here earlier all you need to know is I almost killed my father. No, not the crazy,evil kind of serial killer kind of way, actually I hurt his feelings and triggered a heart attack, that's all you need to know for now. It was really unnerving when a doctor or a nurse passed by, we all jumped up or looked up only to be disappointed. A few minutes later the hospital waiting room door swung open,without looking up I knew who it was," Maureen, I'm so glad you're here..." Anne begun only to be rudely ignored.
"Myra, sweetheart, how are you doing?" Maureen enveloped me in a very uncomfortable, not to mention awkward hug.
My voice was lost, a dozen questions rushed through my mind and only one thing was certain, things were about to get ugly," I... I'm..."
"Oh you poor dear, you must still be in shock, do you need anything?"She asked me dutifully.
I shook my head with all the strength I could muster, I glanced at Anne through the corner of my eye, she was as startled and bewildered as I was. I didn't know where this was going but as long as Maureen was involved it wasn't good. I scanned the room for Andre and noticed he was still beside me he was trying to hide a smile... the mischievous goat was having a laugh over my crisis, the thought almost brought a smile to my lips but I knew better.
"Good evening Anne... we need to talk," She glared at Anne with such 'Ice' I could actually feel the temperature drop in the room.
"Alright then," Anne gestured for them to step aside, her head was held up fearlessly her lower lip was quivering so fast that it looked like she was talking.
"Oh no, sweetheart, you should know by now that I am not afraid to air my dirty linens in public."
Anne stuttered,"Why should we... we don't have dirty linens, do we?"
Maureen arched an eyebrow and took two dramatic steps towards Anne,"Why did you blame this poor child for something that was probably a coincidence, you always want to be the good guy...'Oh boo-hoo, the child has no mother figure lets marry her rich dad and then help her', 'goodness gracious, her rich dad is hardly home, let me move in with her to keep her and her awesome friends company', 'Oh my Lord she's angry at her rich dad then he has a heart attack, let me take sides with him in case..."
"Don't you dare say it?" Anne hissed through clenched teeth.
I could feel Andre right behind me, I leaned into him and enjoyed the feeling of his arms around before I came back to reality, if Anne and Maureen had a falling out because of me I would kill myself.
"Oh so what now you're gonna beat me, well go ahead, thank God we're in a hospital so I can pay your bills when I'm through whooping your ass," Maureen rolled up her non-existent sleeves.
The room went silent, even the usual 'hustle and bustle' hospital sounds were gone.
Anne broke the silence with an eardrum piercing laugh,"Did you hear that in a movie or something?"
"Yeahhh. that chick flick you left me to struggle through last week... you have to admit its good though?"
I stared in awe and amazement as the two ladies chattered away, what happened to the fight...about me?
"They grow up so fast," Andre squeezed me a bit before he went to join in the fun.
I smiled as I watched them, this was the craziest group of friends I had ever seen and I was glad to say they were mine. Well, at least we have some good news, no one was attending my funeral in the nearest future...
"Excuse me you are here for Mr.Nigel..."
"Yes!"everyone huddled around the doctor,"We tried everything but..."
I just had to jinx it, there were gonna be two funerals, my dad's then mine.
"...we just couldn't kill the old man," the doctor laughed... by himself,"Jeez, just trying to lighten the situation."
We all stared at him blankly, till he got the message and continued," The catch is, he can't remember a thing..."
Lets make that one funeral, MINE.

No comments:

Post a Comment