Friday, August 6, 2010

Memories...

The sun was setting gradually, I didn't really know if I could go on, my surroundings held too many memories. Some were good, some were bad and some were just plain sick, but they were mine and they were precious. I looked up slowly, half expecting to be overwhelmed with unwanted emotions, but what I felt was different, it was refreshing like a breath of fresh air. I smiled sadly as I went down memory lane. It was my first day in a new school, in a new town, I was scared. I was never the sanguine one, more like an introvert, but I tried to fit in. I stood outside staring at the tall building that was my school willing it to disappear or just evaporate. My stare down with the wretched building was shortlived, I felt a rough nudge and then another one. I somewhat lost my balance and almost fell on my face, but moving around gave me some unwanted experience when it came to withstanding bullies. I looked around, two big kids that gave a new meaning to obesity towered above me. Gulping down wat was left of the saliva in my mouth, I braced myself for the worse.'Hey, pick on someone ur own size!!' A light voice sounded behind me. Great, all I needed now was a hero to make things worse. I was still standing there awaiting the worse, when I noticed that everyone had left the scene. I turned around to find a very scrawny boy, roughly my size, standing there. I looked at him in awe, wishing I knew his secret. He smiled at me knowingly,'I'm Jim, stick with me kid, I've got you'. From that day onward, I followed him everywhere. Last month he died,but my best and closest friend he remained. On his deathbed he whispered,'Remember what I said when we first met? Never forget it, remember that I've got u... always'. Staring at the playground I met him on suddenly made me feel better.It made me realise that what we had, some people never experienced, I was lucky to even know Jim.My arms tightened around around my swollen midriff as I hugged Jim's unborn child,'I've got you'.

1 comment:

  1. aaawwww........i've got you. (see, i have feelings sometimes)

    ReplyDelete