Saturday, October 23, 2010

Invade or evade...

It was Saturday, a very busy day in the event planning sector, I was up by 5am, even though I was meant to be at the office by 8am. I'm a woman and I wanted an allegedly gay guy, so I was gonna have to dress to kill, so I needed the extra time. By 7.35, I still hadn't figured out a match, everything I picked either screamed 'ravish me here right now' or 'here Andre, look at me'... In frustration I picked a pair of trousers, a camisole and a cropped jacket, then I shoved my feet into a pair of gladiator sandals.
I walked into the office slowly, there were butterflies in my stomac and I felt lightheaded, I knew I couldn't face him yet so I ran to Maureen's office and knocked on the door shakily.
"Door's open," she called out casually.
I opened the door and walked in hurriedly,"Maureen, could I stay here for a while, I want to, eeerrrrrm..."
"You're avoiding him aren't you?" She asked in a concerned tone.
I nodded like a child, O Lord this was highschool all over again, why couldn't I just walk upto him and talk to him about it all? (Cuz, ummmn, highschool never ends.
"How could you not know he had the hots for you all these years? I mean I just met you guys and I knew, hell even Anne knew," she giggled.
"Hellllllo, Andre told me he was gay!!"
"Gay schmay, he looks at you like he's lost in the Sahara and you're water, he puts up with your girl drama, he's always picking your side even when you're obviously wrong and when you tell him to pretend to be your boyfriend in clubs and pubs, his face lights up like a christmas tree. How blind are you?"
I just stood there, I had never noticed all this,I just thought it was bestfriend benefits, plus I was too stuck up and caught up with my issues to even notice that much. I looked at Maureen nervously, she just cocked an eyebrow amd waited for my answer,"So you set him up, yesterday in the bathroom?"
She smiled smuggly,"Yeah, I told him I could prove he was straight, he protested, I called him chicken and he kissed me, I love how he feels the need to prove himself when you call him a chicken."
"Are'nt you just..."
"Maureen, can I chill in here for a second I..." Andre walked in, he stopped talking when he noticed I was in the room.
"Oh would you look at that, my cell is ringing,I've got to take this," Maureen walked out hurriedly.
"Should we call her back to get her cell?" I laughed nervously.
"No, lets allow her to figure that one out so she can beat herself up about it," he smiled back. I wanted to kiss the smile off his face, I wanted to kiss him till he couldn't use his lips for anything else, I wanted to...
"So, you're early today,"he commented.
"Yeahhh, rough night, you know how it is when I break up with Clark?" I almost hit myself in the face, what the hell was that?
"Yeah," he frowned slightly.
"So..." we both said at the same time.
"You go first," I said hurriedly.
"Are you sure?"
"Yeah, why not?" I answered impatiently, I really wanted to hear what he had to say.
"Ok, here it goes, I'm really sorry about yesterday Myra, I was ouy of line and I was angry, I really took it to the extreme trying to get you to believe I was gay, it was only cuz everyone thought I was back in college and when you did too I just played along, I told myself I would tell you the truth about everything, how I felt, but I thought you would hate me..."
"Andre..." I began, but he cut me off.
"No listen, I know you don't feel the same way and I understand, I just hope we can still be friends?" he asked.
"Ummmn, yeah, why not," I gave my best fake smile.
"What were you gonna say?" he asked innocently.
"Just what you said, about being friends," I answered, my heart sank as we hugged briefly thenhe walked out of the room, bumping into Maureen who was eavesdropping. he smiled at her briefly and went to his office.
"What is wrong with you?!" Maureen bellowed,"you screwed up".
"I know and I'm killing myself when I get home today, what was I thinking?" I bit my lip nervously.
"Don't beat yourself up, Anne and I will do that for you after work today, now go make me some money, Gretchen's bridal shower isn't gonna plan itself," she shooed me out of her office.
The day sped by fortunately, I avoided Andre with all my might and I think he did th e same. We finally saw eachother in Maureen's office where we all met after work, I would be the greatest liar/actress of all time if I could act normal for this one, ladies and gentlemen, introducing the greatest liar/actress of all time...

No comments:

Post a Comment