Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Reunion

The cool evening breeze blew in through my window, I smiled as I recollected the happenings of the day, I didn't want to open my eyes in case it was a dream, but eventually I did... and I instantly wished I kept them shut. Dammit!!! I looked around, there was no sign of Andre, I was fully clothed and the bedsheets were still on the bed. What the hell happened?!.I jumped up and searched the room again, but what kind of creep would dress me up and put everything back in place? My heart fell, this was not fair.
I walked out into my living room, Andre was still slumped on the couch... in the same awkward position I left him in!!! Its all coming back to me now, I went to get him the aspirin, he took it, we had the awkward stare-down, I pushed him back onto the couch and when I was about to kiss him, he fell asleep!!As if that wasn't awkward enough, I had to go and dream up a whole steamy session of carnal pleasures. I heard someone in the kitchen,it was probably Anne eating everything in sight," Hey, glutton, leave some for the rest of us."
"Is that how what the kids call people like me nowadays?"
That wasn't Anne's voice, It wasn't Maureen's either, it was...
"Hi dad..." I walked over and hugged him.
"Hey doll face," he kissed the top of my head affectionately.
I smiled up at him," So what are you doing here and who let you in? I'm guessing 'not Anne'?"
"Your drunk boyfriend let me in, then he blacked out immediately..." he smiled, then his smile faded,"How is Anne?"
"Find out yourself," Anne said from the doorway,"Hello Nigel."
Anne walked in calmly, she looked radiant, I knew she had heard dad's voice in her room because she had full make up on, and she was wearing a cute T-shirt that showed a vague but tempting outline of her curves," I'll be in the next room."
"No stay!!" they both shouted at the same time.
Wow, where were the dress rehearsals and why wasn't I informed? It was like they practiced their lines accompanied by the 'intimidating parent' look.
"Okay," I answered obediently,"So... who wants breakfast?"
"I do," Andre called out from the living room.
"Get your drunk ass in here, pardon my language daddy," I laughed nervously, this was more awkward than the stare down with Andre. I needed moral support, even if it had a hangover.My dad just smiled at me knowingly.
"So, Nigel... why the surprise visit? You have a business meeting around here, cuz if I remember correctly that's the only way anyone can see you these days," Anne smiled sarcastically.
"Hey break it off people," Andre said as he walked into the kitchen,"Hey Nigel."
"Wait, you guys know each other?" Anne and I asked at the same time. Yaaaay! I was invited to the dress rehearsal after all.
"Yeah we were business partners," Andre joked, but no one laughed, apart from me because I was kissing up,"too soon?"
"I had him investigated and I meet him for a few drinks now and then," my dad stated.
I just looked at him blankly, he always did this and there was no stopping him just because I was an heiress to a multi-billion dollar estate... arrghhhh.
I looked at Andre apologetically but he seemed to be enjoying the awkwardness.
"Really, you treat your daughter like a business asset,what is wrong with you Nigel??!" Anne seemed really worked up.
"Sweety..." I started.
"No, Myra I have to tell him this... I have to ask him What the heck he's doing here after all this time?!" Andre and I are visibly shaken by the anger in her voice.Well someone has been bottling up their feelings...
"You wanna know? You really wanna know everything Anne, why I wasn't around so much towards the end? I'm dying Anne, I have a tumor in my brain and its killing me, I didn't want to worry anyone till I had it under control, but now I have less than a year left... are you happy now the cat is out of the bag?!" Tears ran down my father's cheeks.
We all stared in horror... I want to put the cat back in the bag...

No comments:

Post a Comment