Friday, July 16, 2010

Shadows

In the shadows, beyond where wandering eyes could find me, thats where I was, hidden within myself. No one knew much about me, only that if they were looking for a party, I was the chic to drag along. I spent my days building a brick wall around myself, to hide the troubled person within. On the outside, I was a fun-loving, sarcastic yet funny person. With this charade going on, no one bothered to look into my eyes and see the pain, the years of trauma even the loneliness. They were all satisfied with the person I was, and who could blame them? I was a doll. My brick wall was somehow huffed and puffed down eventually, it was all Martha's doing. She came along and shook people's lives up, soon enough, everyone was in awe of her-except me. In her I saw myself, and it freaked me out, so I avoided her, but not for long. I was working late on a tuesday night, there was a soft knock on the door.'Come in,' I mumbled dutifully. I was a little shaken when I realised it was her and even more shaken when she walked over to me and hugged me. Wrapping my arms slowly around her I hugged her back and searched my mind for any memories of when we became girlfriends. She pulled back and looked into my eyes,'Its me peaches'. How did she know that name? Fear and curiousity ran through my body. 'I know u probably won't recognize me without my red wig and my trademark whips,' tears shone in her eyes. My head jerked up, It couldn't be, candy was dead, I watched our pimp shoot her in the back as we tried to run away.Those bullets were meant for me, she pushed me out of the way and took them,'You got potential P, use it, now run!' My life was a lie after that, I tried to numb the pain, but every night I relived it. Words couldn't escape my mouth, I just broke down, I cried for the first time since that night. I didn't care how she escaped, all I knew was that there would be no shadows to hide in, no charades to put up with, just my sister and I free from the rotten world our mother created.

1 comment: