Thursday, July 22, 2010

There's a stranger in my house?

I lifted my sweat drenched T-shirt and flung it carelessly into my laundry basket, sighing warily I moved ,as sluggishly as I could manage,to my dainty little kitchen. My eyes were fixed on the ground, it was an old habit I just couldn't shake off, so there I was clad in my jogging bra and my unusually baggy sweats,standing in my kitchen and staring at my dirty feet. I made my way around my little kitchen table, then I saw a pair of feet that weren't mine. At first I walked past, my brain not registering that the other pair of feet weren't meant to be there. I was in front of my archaic refrigerator when it hit me, there was a stranger in my house. I spun on my heel, even light would envy my speed at that moment, God knows I wasn't prepared for what I saw. I glared at the intruder willing my eyes to bore a hole through his head, but hey, this is the real world, we can only wish for stuff like that. My eyes asked silent questions which my voice box failed to produce. What are you doing here? Where were you all these years? How did you find me? Is Lindsey Lohan going to clean her act up? OK, that's besides the point... I just stood there like a dummy, this man was once my everything, I gave up everything for him and unless I was seeing ghosts, he faked his own death.
"I can explain," the low, husky voice that once rocked my world, filled every contour of the room.
I finally found my voice, and it was surprisingly calm,"I don't want to hear it, get out."
"Ridthi, Please..."
"Save it. Just get out, I can't handle this now, disappear, it seems to be your area of speciality." I winced at the harshness of my own words, I couldn't believe I was talking to Jerry like this. I made a mental note to hi-5 myself later on.
He was clearly as surprised as I was, because he just stood up and walked out,"I'll be back."
He didn't give me time to come up with a comeback, he just rushed out, I ran over to the window and watched him enter a black limo. A warm tear ran freely down my cheek, I tried my best to blink the rest back, but it was to no avail. Jerry was my half brother, he was older and wiser than me, that made it easy for him to dupe me of my entire trust fund and fake his own death.
I loved him like the elder brother I had lost to cancer, I looked up to him and I was devastated when I found out that he got kidnapped. I just found him, the 'bastard son' of my rich dad and a call girl. Of course daddy had denied him, but I was young, naive and determined to make it right. How stupid I was, smiling bitterly,I allowed my mind to take me further back in time. I emptied my trust fund and paid the ransom, only to hear that I was too late. There was an explosion, my life turned around that day, I alienated myself from the living members of my family and lived off a part time teaching job when I could have bought the school if I wanted. Now, 3 years later, he shows up on my doorstep, alive and well and still living off my trust fund... I sighed and wiped my tear soaked face, I picked up my cellphone and punched in some numbers..."Hello, daddy its Riri"...

1 comment: